Surface Design Study : Final Design

Exploring The Beauty of Radial Symmetry


I will not lie, I have a bad case of creative block. 

I heard from a professor that the best way to get over it is to keep going at it and to keep trying no matter how much you hate the art you are producing. Then, cry and wallow in self-loathing over a blank canvas until the computer shuts down and you see yourself in the black screen wondering how will your life be if you are getting burn out so early on your haven't-started career. After that, get some sleep, rest, and go outside for a walk to refreshen your mind. And remember that, negative feelings don't last but your archive of artistic "no goods" is going to be there for you to properly recycle the next time you feel this way.

So that's what I did. I had been going through unfinished works and ideas that I always wanted to execute but was either out and about or simply just too comfy to get out of bed to do it. 


My main inspiration of this proeject:

Unfinished watercolor painting I did in summer

I used to doodle on my skin a lot using a non-smudge 0.4mm tip pen in my boring classes throughout high school. I archived at least 12 variations of these on my Instagram account.

My co-worker's Monster Drink with very interesting design. I always admire them. 


These, along with the deadline inspired me to make what I did

Process:

Using gestalt and color blocking, I traced my painting.

This one is obviously inspired by the monster




The memory of me loving drawing on my hands, and not paying attention to the teacher during social class made me nostalgic about how easy it was to have no responsibility but my schoolwork and some chores at home. So I decided to once again choose to do a radial symmetry-themed design. 

I wish I could be more profound but it's nothing to deep, really. 



I tried out to position them together first. Thumbnails perhaps.





More Process but here are some of the line work:



I used online palette generators to create suitable palettes:




The fun part: creating and experimenting with Array Curve 









Final Designs
And then I tried hiding the line work,









I tried doing an alternative color to the purples:






I like it.

Thanks for reading.





Comments

Popular Posts