Surface Design: Final Laser Cut and Printing

Form Follows Function


                In design, we are always reminded of the integral idea that form must always follow function. At first, I wanted the following objects to be my coasters for my tea or energy drink but I can't find the heart to use them, they are way too pretty to be used that way. So, its new function is to look pretty on my desk and remind me that I can make more surface designs and get them laser cut at the University. 

            I booked 2 times on the laser printer just in case my first design doesn't go too well, I'd have time to revise it and reprint the second time.



Before my first appointment, I got my designs ready for laser printing by changing the colors into grayscale and adding a cut layer with curves, this would signal the machine which part of the design is meant to be cut:




As I initially wanted coasters out of my design, I bought a black acrylic sheet to contrast my white working table. But I was curious to see how would be it laser printed on wood as well. So I asked the technician if we have time to do both and thankfully we did. But we had to resize my design because it would take too long to print it the way it is (from 10x10" to 4x4").



TADA!!!

 I think that it turned out really pretty on Birch Plywood. Since the laser was essentially etching the surface of the wood thru burning, it also smells great. I love how the gradient turned out although I definitely regret using white as one of the colors since the laser basically just grazed on it, not deep enough. It's much more noticeable on the black acrylic sheet.




And this is how it turned out after printing it on a 4"x4" Black Acrylic Sheet. We ended up laser-cutting the design twice because the sheet was much too thick and the laser did not penetrate the design deep enough. As I have said, I lost some details on this one, specifically the layer that I chose to be white.

Good thing, I booked a second appointment.



FEW HOURS LATER...(Spongebob reference)


            Before my second appointment for the laser cutter, I altered the colors of my design to make the rest appear more. 



Also this time, the technician said, he can print it in 10x10 " as I initially wanted since I didn't have anyone booked after me. (YAY!)

 this is the final product:





Here they all are : 



Although I struggled with a creative block while starting this project, 
I had a fun time.

Thanks for reading



Comments

Popular Posts