Swing of the Century ( body ):Edited Prototype

    

         





    Translating my original plan into a real-life paper prototype was harder and more time-consuming for what it's worth so I did some editing/ adding of parts outside the main plan. Also here, I am to describe how the simple machine inside the box would work. But to start off, I'm going to list the things that I missed/ had difficulties with during the translation of this project:

- gravity, I realized that I put too much trust in the center supporting pole, and the only compromise I could think of was to put a stick inside the pole to keep it from folding.

- the tabs are either missing, too long, or too short.

- the hexagons are more fragile than I thought and since this project is about layering, top layers would have caused the lower layers to cave in. So I had to put quilted papers of the same width that the hexagons have as a structure to support the centers of the hexagons. 

Rendering of the New and Simplified Version 



The planned simple mechanism (supposedly):

- It involves 2 gears, One is connected to the ceiling hexagon, triangle, and center pole while the other is connected to a horizontal stick that pokes through the box. When you rotate the horizontal stick, logically, the gears will converge and rotates the pole.  But, I underestimated the difficulty of accurately making 2 identical gears out of toothpicks and water bottle caps. So I will also make a 3d printed gear on rhino and add that for my final.

Process Images: 





Here's the gif of the rotating upper piece:


    Also, I may have forgotten to mention that I will make the chairs too.




Comments

Popular Posts